Monday, November 7, 2011

Alright... back to basics with Nvidia and TwinView

I've been doing a ton of things with Linux today. Earlier, I recompiled the synaptics driver for my laptop since there was some jittering problems with the cursor. I'll have a separate post on that, since I went through a lengthy (though straightforward) process that I want to clearly outline for you all.

THIS post is about how to properly set up TwinView (dual displays) using Nvidia drivers.

Just in case it makes things interesting, I have my primary monitor hooked up via HDMI and the secondary monitor using DVI.

  1. First, make sure you've actually installed the latest Nvidia drivers. As of today, you'll install the nvidia-current package (via synaptic or sudo apt-get install nvidia-current in the terminal).
  2. Restart the system.
  3. Open up the Nvidia X Server Settings control panel.
  4. If not already the case, you'll need to activate both displays. When I set my monitors up for the first time, my HDMI connected LCD was not active. I had to select my monitor, click 'Configure...' and then choose TwinView. I hit apply, and boom. Two displays.
  5. I moved my secondary monitor down just a bit so my windows/cursor would move evenly across screens.
  6. At this point, customize the screens to your liking (resolution, color depth, etc.) and hit apply.
  7. Hit 'Save to X Configuration File'
  8. You should see some kind of error indicating that it can't parse the existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf. No problem. Hit OK, then there should be a 'Show Preview...' button. Select it.
  9. A bunch of text will pop up. We're only interested in one section -- "Screen".
  10. Now, open a terminal and path to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d -- this is one of the directories that X examines when starting up. X essentially reads the separate .conf files that collectively configure your X environment.
  11. Type in gksudo gedit ./20-nvidia.conf and press <ENTER>
  12. Copy just the "Screen" section that the Nvidia configuration tool outputted to the gedit session you have open. Save afterwards.
  13. Log out then back in. You're all set!

1 comment:

  1. Also, keep in mind that you don't actually have to path out to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. You can just as easily type in gksudo gedit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

    ReplyDelete